Coponord ignition problems

English forum for Caponord lovers around the world
AndrewM
NIUBBO
NIUBBO

Coponord ignition problems

Messaggio da AndrewM »

:lol: This appears to be a really good site but unfortunately like some others I don't speak Italian and I can't wait to see more in English.
My name is Andrew and live near Cambridge UK. I have a grey Caponord which I brought 12 months ago. It is a great bike but I have yet to see another one on the road in my area so I feel a little cut off from any feedback from other owners.
I have travelled 6000 miles on my bike since new and have had no major problems. I would be interested to know if any other owners have had ignition problems with this model. Problem I have is that of stalling at low speeds. I then have to drift to the side of the road count 10 and then it will re-start as if nothing had happened. When the bike stopped on me last time the Speedo needle also spun round to Maximum and I now see that the ‘Service’ indicator has come on but the service is not due for thousands of miles yet. At the last service my dealer ’MaxMoto’ of Bury St. Edmonds re-mapped the fuel injection system with the latest Aprilia version but this has not stopped the stalling problem. Also this week in the ice and snow(temperature -4C) the bike died on me 5 times in the first 100m and then drove off perfectly and yes I had waited until the engine was warm ( 125F)
Any helpful comments or general communication from anyone out there would be welcome.
Andrew
paolo299
MOTOCICLISTA DILETTANTE
MOTOCICLISTA DILETTANTE

Messaggio da paolo299 »

Hi Andrew
Welcome to the forum!!
If I have well understand, some of us has the same problems (the threads are in italian).
The solution seems to be a new map for the electronic injection system, maybe your dealer has not really the last one.
It will be interesting to know which is your map version.

I checked the italian thread, "minimo a freddo", and there is one solution: it seems to be a problem of some parameters, not suitable for cold season. Accordly to fiore, the best knower of engine V60, is only 5 min. operation with the Axone.

Bye
CapoNord Rossa

"Solo i pesci morti vanno con la corrente"
Ospite

Messaggio da Ospite »

Hello Paolo,
Thanks for your reply, it is good to know that this forum realy works and that there are other ETV 1000 owners out there.
At your suggestion I will contact my dealer and find out which version of the ignition maping he used.
Speek to you again,

Best wishes,

Andrew
andydj31
TANTO FORUM-POCA MOTO
TANTO FORUM-POCA MOTO

Messaggio da andydj31 »

:welcome: Welcome Andrew!!!! :respect:

andydj31 :andydj:
Aprilia Tuono 660 Iridium Grey '21

Immagine
Ospite

Messaggio da Ospite »

Hi Andrew.
The main problem could be an old map.

Attila : can you contact "Fiore" to obtain the right solution or some good suggest about this problem ?

Andrew ..Stay tuned..
and :welcome: !!
attila
STAFF
STAFF
Moto: Caponord ETV1000

Messaggio da attila »

Ciao Andrew, welcome! :welcome:

Yes, please first of all let us know which is your "map" version loaded...

Than I'll try to get additional info concerning your problem...

;-)
Mandi!
Attila :attila:

CN Grigio Dust Marzo 2002
"black snaky"
attila
STAFF
STAFF

Messaggio da attila »

Ciao Andrew,
just got an answer from our “guru” of the V60 engine... first of all, apart your map version, we need to know if you have a catalytic version or not. Than could be helpful also which CO value has been set...
Regarding the speedo needle that went to maximum, he thinks should mostly related to a ground bad connection... and the same could be for the “service” indicator...

Waiting for your reply
Ciao

;-)
Mandi!

"black snaky"
Ospite

Messaggio da Ospite »

Ciao Attila and Paolo,

:cry: My story is getting worse and worse, let me explain.

On Wednesday this week I decided I was fed up with bike stopping and I would go to my Aprilia agent and get them to look at it and check with their Axone which version of the mapping my ECU was programmed with.
They plugged in the Axone and checked the CO emitions and these it was found were set to 6.0 and should have been 3.0 so the bike would have been running too rich and this could have caused the stalling at low speed. The mapping version was PS231105 and my bike has not got a catalytic converter as it is a 2002 model purchased in 2003. They fitted a tank bag and adjusted the chain and I should have been on my way. The bike run perfectly in the workshop but after wheeling it out side and then trying to start it, it would NOT start. The engine turned over but nothing could be heard from the fuel pump, and the horn now did not work. All the fuses were OK the pump worked on its own and at first they thought it was a problem with the Datatool alarm system. There was a lot of head scratching and the Axone unit was re-fitted but now that would not connect properly to the bike and kept telling the technician to re-connect it. We checked the Axone on another bike and it worked perfectly but back on by Caponord it was useless and gave no indication of the fault. I was now stranded 35 miles from home at an agent that had no bike to lone me. Sh*t!
Well it is now Friday, two days after my trip to the dealer and I have just been told that the bike will need a new ECU box and they are waiting for conformation from Aprilia so that they can repair it under warranty. This new ECU will have to come from Switzerland and is likely to take 5-10 days to arrive. My dealer MaxMoto refuses to loan be a bike which leaves me with no transport. One would have thought that when a repair has to be carried out under warranty Aprilia should fund a loan bike for the duration of the repair.

Thank you both for your help in this matter and I will hopefully have some good news soon and will then post another message.

I would be interested to hear if you know of anyone else who has managed to blow up one of these ECU boxes?

Best wishes, talk to you soon,

:taz:

Andrew

PS the send reply site needs to be in Emglish to.
paolo299
MOTOCICLISTA DILETTANTE
MOTOCICLISTA DILETTANTE

Messaggio da paolo299 »

Hi Andrew!
What a pity to hear what happened to you!
I don't know any other fault like yours. My impression is that they made some bad operation with Axone and subsequentelly the ECU was damaged. I hope you can have your bike back soon!

Best wishes Paolo
CapoNord Rossa

attila
STAFF
STAFF

Messaggio da attila »

paolo299 ha scritto:Hi Andrew!
What a pity to hear what happened to you!
I don't know any other fault like yours. My impression is that they made some bad operation with Axone and subsequentelly the ECU was damaged. I hope you can have your bike back soon!

Best wishes Paolo
mmh... I had the same thought while I was reading the Andrew massege...

as far as I know, no one of our club subscribers had an ECU damage...

I'll try to get additional info from our V60 "guru" Fiore...
keep us posted about how things are going...

good luck! :goodluck:

;-)
Mandi!

"black snaky"
leandros
NIUBBO
NIUBBO

Messaggio da leandros »

:D
Hello to everybody! My name is Leandros and I live in Athens-Greece.
My love is a blue Caponord (2003 model). I really didn't have any major problem up to now except of the service here in my country.
Iam trying to find (even in internet) a user manual in a language I can understand (in Greek or English)! The Aprilia Hellas here gives a manual in all other languages! :evil:
Is there any site from where I can download one?
Can everybody tell me which are the routine services for etv?
The first is in 1000 Km
The second ?
The third?
I want to compare what you'll tell me with their instructions.

Thank you for your help.

Leandros
attila
STAFF
STAFF

Messaggio da attila »

Ciao Leandros, welcome! :welcome:

I think you can find something useful here: http://www.caporider.com/docs.shtml

glad to know your "beauty" is running fine... :cool:

;-)
Mandi!

"black snaky"
paolo299
MOTOCICLISTA DILETTANTE
MOTOCICLISTA DILETTANTE

Messaggio da paolo299 »

Hi Leandros, Welcome!!!!!!
CapoNord Rossa

AndrewM
NIUBBO
NIUBBO

Messaggio da AndrewM »

Ciao,

Good news at last, I have got my caponord back. :party2:

It's performing realy well and is like having a new bike. It feels a lot smoother and more controlable. Lets hope the ECU unit last more than 12 months this time.
Thanks to all of you who answered my cry for help, once again let me say it is nice to know there is a forum where Aprilia owners can comunicate and get to exchange idears.
Keep up the good work.

Andrew
carlodg
TANTO FORUM-POCA MOTO
TANTO FORUM-POCA MOTO

Messaggio da carlodg »

We are really happy your bike is really good now!!!

When will you drive in Italy???

Are ather CN or Pegaso in Cambridge??

Many Lamps
Lamps

Grazie ai moderatori per il lavoro che fanno!
Aiutiamoli con un comportamento corretto.

Regole del forum

Era meglio quando si stava Beggio
Immagine
Rispondi

Torna a “CAPONORD ETV 1000 ENGLISH FORUM”